Sunday, January 10, 2010

Homemade Kefir

Today I made kefir, which is a cultured drink, usually made with milk but sometimes also water or soy milk or coconut milk.  It worked perfectly the first time.  I was impressed.  Must have had something to do with having the perfect place to let it culture.  Take Note:  the best place to culture drinks like kefir and kombucha is on your boiler!  Mine is downstairs in the laudry room where it is dark and quiet and warm.  The surface of the boiler is maybe 70-75 degrees or so. This is what it looked like after I had blended it with some organic bing cherries and put it in a jar.
kefir in a jar
This is what it looked like after it had set for a while.


It is a fairly sour drink, so I added stevia to make it palatable to the kids.  Don't think the dh was too impressed.  This is what it looked like after I shook it well and served it in his favorite Carnival glass.

kefir in a glass
Yum.  Drink your probiotics!

No comments:

Post a Comment