Friday, January 8, 2010

New year's resolutions (subject to revision)

Winter sunrise on the Cottonwoods
Prologue:
Just as an aside, not really an official Resolution, but I do plan to take more pictures this year.  I've been mostly inspired by all the fantastic blogs I've been reading, especially Sarah's, who is an excellent photographer and shares her work on her blog.  Another motivation is having great visual content for my own blog!

Resolutions:
1. Seek out and learn from godly mentors.
      This is sort of doing my part in the whole transfer of knowlege from one generation to the next, which is
      seriously lacking in our culture.  Besides the fact that I need all the help I can get, besides the fact
     that we all need to be obeying Titus 2.


2. Increase and develop personal discipline.
    a.  Do a study on the spiritual disciplines and determine what specific goals and routines will help me.
    b. Establish daily routines and guidlines for physical disciplines--i.e. exercise, eating, and scheduling habits


3. Increase and develop creativity, knowledge, and expression.
    a. Redecorate the boys' room (Wind in the Willows theme).
    b. Blog regularly (3-4 times/wk)
    c. Learn how to use my new Adobe Photoshop Elements 8!
    d. Learn color work knitting.
    e. Get the piano tuned--and find a teacher for Zane.
    f. Finish my wedding album--it's about time!


4. Read these books:
   a. Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives (Re: Lit Books)
   b. Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families & Churches
   c. Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate
   d. The Family Worship Book: A Resource Book for Family Devotions
   e. The Life of John Newton
   f. The Bible and the Closet
   g. Meet the Puritans: With a Guide to Modern Reprints
   h. Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
   i. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life
   j. Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training, Study Guide


5. Memorize:
   a. Galatians
   b. Ephesians (note* lest you think I am aiming to high, I've already done this and it will be review)
   c. Philippians--already have some of it done too.
  

This is a pretty preliminary list, because for each of these resolutions I have specific goals toward carrying them out; I have to tackle things in little bits.  For each resolution I have weekly and monthly goals. We have to remember that Reality and Life happen, so of course these are all subject to revision as I deem necessary. There will be unplanned, last minute projects, and I'm sure I'll read books other than the ones listed here. I may seem ambitious, but better to aim high.



What are your New Year's Resolutions and how are you breaking them down into workable goals? 

No comments:

Post a Comment