Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Splattering Spaetzle

Last night we made the traditional German spaetzle and goulash fleisch (sp?) that Thomas' family enjoys around the holidays.  It didn't taste quite like his mom's (considering I used the last of our Barefoot Merlot) but it was quite good, once we figured out a good consistency  for the batter.  Here is Thomas cooking the noodles.

We discovered that it can be quite hairy to have two cooks trying to cook two different things in the same work space, our kitchen is not very accomadating at this time. You should've seen the state of the KitchenAid after we got done mixing the Spaetzle.  Next time I'll get a pic.  I was working on the Yummy Red Cabbage, whose recipe I'll have to share for anyone who appreciates cruciferous concoctions.


Yummy Red Cabbage: origin unknown (sorry I don't remember where I got this recipe)
8 oz. red cabbage, sliced
1 apple, sliced or chopped
1 oz. butter, 2 t. oil
1 sm onion, chopped  or sliced thin
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 t. gr. cloves
1/4 t. cinnamon
dash nutmeg
salt & pepper
1 t. brown sugar
1 T red wine vinegar

Melt butter and oil. Cook onion then add apple and garlic and cook 2-3 min.  Turm to Hi and add cabbage; stir-fry 5 min.  Stir in spices, salt and pepper. Turn to Lo and cook 10 min.  When tender turn up heat and add sugar and vinegar.  Stir and serve.
This is delicious and not slimy like my mom's (sorry mom).  Not too sweet either, and the spices make it taste special.

We also enjoyed a Rye bread called Limpa which I made from my favorite bread machine cookbook,
The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook, which has about a zillion great recipes for breads in the machine, and they work!  What I usually do is use the machine to do all the work except baking, because the DH likes to have his bread shaped like a traditional loaf, and I don't mind this extra step, especially since I get out of all the mixing and kneading, etc.

Hope you are all back into your routines for the New Year.  I'll be posting Resolutions soon.  Meanwhile, here is our latest family photo (a rare sight!).

No comments:

Post a Comment